Monday, September 30, 2013

That's Life

You know how it goes, you've been on a healthy eating plan for a while and feeling great, then life happens. It's your birthday, someone bakes you cookies, or you eat at someone's home and the dinner menu doesn't quite fit your new habits. Yep, I've been there. 

Two weekends ago Jason and I decided on a cheat day. We had both been dreaming about pizza and decided to make a day of it and have a pizza date! I'm not gonna lie, it was awesome! And we both ate more than we should have. 
Over the last week I had plenty of extra stress, busy work days, and somehow made it to school several days in a row without my healthy snacks and lunches. Let me tell ya the week was set up to fail from the start. To top it all off we went home for the weekend to spend some time with our families where they served mostly things we should not have had. Let's face it. It's football season in the south! What do you expect? 
That's life folks. It happens. It can be difficult to say no when thrown into a world of situations you didn't plan for. 

One thing that I try to do after having several cheat days in a row is to convince myself I'm excited to eat healthy again! This is usually done by switching up my recipes to try new things, or braking out some oldies that I haven't had in a while. If I can get excited about a healthy meal that has been planned then I'm less likely to desire the chocolate as I walk by the candy dish. 

Today, was another day full of stress which made it perfect to play some mind games on myself. 

I had part of the day off which allowed me to spend some additional time eating breakfast. It was awesome if I do say so myself 
Breakfast consisted of two eggs, some green pepper, and spinach. Yummo 
I also had a honey and nut bar with my coffee. 

Lunch was on the go and at a time when I didn't feel like eating. So I just grabbed an apple and green grapes to go with almond butter. 
Have you guys tried this? Oh my I could eat the whole jar! I actually bought this out of weakness. It's pretty dangerous to keep in the house. I crave it when I know it's in the pantry. 

Dinner was a quick and easy go to staple. Salsa verde chicken salad. 
Couldn't be easier. Just add chicken and a jar of salsa verde to the crockpot. 6 hours later put it over a salad mix of your choice and done. We have also done this with regular salsa and adding taco seasoning or ranch dressing mix. These are also very good, but Jason and I both decided the flavor of the salsa verde was the winner in our home. 

So that was me tricking myself to get back into the groove of things. Hopefully the rest of the week will go as smoothly! 
I have some new recipes that looked fall inspired to me that I can't wait to try pinned on my Pinterest board. I'll be sure to post if they're winners! 

Question of the week:
What do you do to stay healthy when life happens?


No comments:

Post a Comment